Monday, November 15, 2010

Sweet Potato Souffle


It's that time of year! All the traditional Thanksgiving dishes. We've already celebrated Thanksgiving a couple weekends ago when my family came to visit. I was surprised we were able to cook everything in our kitchen with 1 little oven.

I have an incredible cook for a mother-in-law. She could probably open her own restaurant with all of her awesome recipes. Her berry pies are particularly popular, especially with her 4 boys (and me). I got this recipe from her, and she got it from her friend, Genevia Debord. Almost everyone grew up with this recipe, and there are slight variations of it. I personally prefer the crunchy, sugar, pecan topping as compared to the marshmellow.

Sweet Potato Souffle

Ingredients:
1 40 oz can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed 1 c. sugar
1/2 stick of margarine/butter (I almost always use salted butter for everything)
1/2 c. milk
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine and mix with hand mixer. Put into casserole dish. Add topping. Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees. (I have left it in a little longer before, just because it didn't look quite done, but you can see for yourself)
Note: I have used a 40 oz cans, and also 2 29 oz cans and it has turned out fine.


Topping:
1/2 stick margarine, soft (Again, I always use salted butter, and I just melted it)
1 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. flour
1 c. pecans, roughly chopped

Mix all ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of casserole.

No comments:

Post a Comment