Thursday, July 29, 2010

Banana Bread



Everyone has their own favorite banana bread recipe. It's such a delicious, easy, no yeast bread. Plus, I haven't met anyone that doesn't like it. Even Dionne, who doesn't like bananas, will eat banana bread.

I have tried quite a few recipes. This one is my favorite. It's simply out of this world right out of the oven with butter. It stays moist for days. Bryce likes to cut a slice, pop it in the micro for 10 seconds or so, and butter it. I don't know what is different about this one other than the added milk, but we love it and have stuck with it.

*Note, if you have ever opened my freezer, you may have been disgusted with finding brown frozen whole bananas. Exhibit A:


Well, if you have ever eaten this bread made by yours truly, it probably was made with 2 of these gorgeous bananas. It doesn't change the taste at all! Whether it's frozen and brown, or fresh and overly ripe, both work. (I do fully thaw them before I mix them in, which makes them look even more delectable...not) Trust me. I just hate to waste food. When I see a banana getting too brown, I throw it in the freezer and wait for a day when I get a hankering to make this bread. Also, I always use 2 bananas.

Banana Bread
Recipe from Sheri Onishi
Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup margarine/butter (I usually use salted butter)
1 egg
5 tbsp milk
1 cup ripe bananas (1-2 bananas)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional--I usually make it without)

Preheat oven 350 degrees. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. (I just throw it in a bowl and stir it with a whisk.) In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter (I use my stand up mixer, or you could use a hand mixer.) Beat egg slightly and mix in. Add bananas. Combine dry ingredients in mixture, only mixing until just combined. STIR or FOLD in milk (and nuts if desired). Spread into greased and floured 9x5" pan. Bake until top is brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean. About 55 minutes at 350 degrees.



I've also made it in muffin cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment