Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sangria

I went to a really fun World Cup 2010 Final game party. Spain vs. Netherlands. Everyone there was rooting for Espana, so there was a lot of Spanish food. I brought some snacks that reminded me of Spain when Bryce and I went last year. We loved the toasted bread with olive oil and salt brushed on it and the jamon iberico which I talked about here. Olives are so mediterranean, and I love black olives, but I'm not a big fan of the green olives. Meredith loves them. I love Meredith. I brought them. But the big hit was the sangria that I brought.



I had never made it before and boy, am I ready to make it again! I'm such a newbie, that I got the recipe from About.com! Then I adapted it to what I bought at the store and forgot to buy at the store.

Sangria
Serves 6-10
Ingredients
1 Bottle of red wine (I used a Merlot from Australia...and it was a 1.5 liter bottle which is a little bigger than a normal bottle)
1 Lemon cut into wedges
1 Orange cut into wedges
1 Lime cut into wedges
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup Splash of orange juice
3 Shots of triple sec (optional, but I did it)
1 small bag of frozen raspberries
1 large can of diced pineapples (with juice)
4 Cups ginger ale (I just bought a liter bottle of ginger ale)
1 can of Fresca

Preparation:
Pour wine into a large pitcher and squeeze the juice wedges from the lemon, orange and lime into the wine. Toss in the fruit wedges (leaving out seeds if possible) and pineapple then add sugar, orange juice and triple sec. Chill overnight.

Add ginger ale, berries, fresca, and ice just before serving. They say that the best Sangrias are chilled around 24 hours in the fridge allowing it to marinate together.

1 comment: